Sunday 3 July 2011

Morag

I've been meaning to introduce you to my flatmate for a while, but she's a rather shy type so it was hard to get her to pose for a photo. In fact, I hardly saw her at all for several days, leading me to wonder if she'd moved on to another flat. But she re-emerged yesterday and I managed to corner her long enough to get a snap. Introducing Morag:

I am assuming Morag is some kind of gecko - no doubt one of you sciencey types can confirm this. She's about three inches long from nose to tip of tail, and she's usually to be found somewhere in the kitchen (often hiding behind something and then giving me a bit of a shock when I pick said something up).

I am also assuming Morag is, in fact, one gecko. I've never seen more than one at the same time so I choose to believe that she is a solo act. Also, I have no idea how long the life cycle of a gecko is but I'm guessing it's somewhat longer than two weeks. So until I have evidence to the contrary, I believe in One Morag.

It was a bit disconcerting at first having Morag scuttle along the wall as I was making tea, but I've kind of got used to her being around now. I can tell her my feelings and she doesn't judge me. Geckos don't, as far as I know, have any implications for human health. And she is really quite cute.

UPDATE 8 July 2011: My monogeckoistic faith has been disproved! Immediately after nearly crushing Morag underfoot in the kitchen last night, I was met with the sight of her rather larger sibling scuttling up the living room wall. I've christened her Meena (they are a very multicultural family).


2 comments:

Sonya said...

She really IS cute! Her hands are very funny. I admire her. xx

Chris said...

Plus, as a couple of people have pointed out, geckos eat cockroaches. Bonus!